Hi plus some questions

Hi,

first of all I'm really impressed by what I have seen so far. I've stumbled over raylib a few times but never looked into it until now. My background and experience is in C++ and for the last years especially Go. I have come to love the simplicity of Go but sadly there are no great frameworks/libraries for game development yet.

Currently I have taken some time off the job and finally want to make a "real" game (have made some small games in the past). Over the last months I have spent some time to find which library/framework I'm going to use (I'm not much of a whole engine guy). Raylib is one of my 2-3 remaining choices.

However.. although I have some good experience with C++, I have practically never written C in a serious way. It's not the language itself that scares me but the lack of standard libraries. How do you guys do it if you need a hash table or whatever sophisticated container. Do you write it yourself? What cross platform libraries are there that somehow compare to the C++ STL.

I also found raylib-lua to be pretty interesting. However I never used Emscripten and wonder if it is still possible to build for the web?

I probably forgot something but I can add more later :)

p.s.
I know there are bindings for go but they don't seem up to date and also I'm not sure about the capabilities to build for different platforms (especially web).

Comments

• edited October 28
    Hi ZenSword! Welcome to the forum!

Glad to read you are enjoying raylib, I imagine you're using raylib-go binding (https://github.com/gen2brain/raylib-go), it's very good and Milan keeps it updated.

You're right, there are not many standard libraries in C, it's mostly coding from scratch but, actually, I like it; don't like many external dependencies... in any case, you can found mostly any library you need here: https://github.com/nothings/single_file_libs

raylib-lua is still on version 1.7, have to update it to 1.8, don't remember what was the state about building for web with emscripten... I think it worked... but in any case, you can use C version, it works very good.
  • Thanks for the feedback! That single file libs link is really handy.

I have decided to go with the C version of raylib == the original :)

So far it has been pretty easy to get into C.. I encountered a few gotchas of stuff that is different in C++ but nothing spectacular.

To warm up with both C and raylib I have begun writing a particle system for raylib. We will see how it goes ;)
  • edited October 31
    Hey! That sounds fantastic! :smiley:

Remember that with CTRL+F12 you start/stop recording a GIF animation of the screen!
  • Yes I vaguely remember reading that somewhere. I even tried to find info about the feature shortly before you wrote. I will certainly try it as soon as I have something presentable :) Thx.

So far raylib has been a joy to use!