I've been wrestling a little over the last couple of days with the problem of displaying smooth crisp beautiful text at arbitrary, run-time-determined (because resolution-dependent) sizes.
The only way I've managed to get it to work so far is by using FreeType to load in the font glyph, drawing that glyph to a raylib Image a la LoadImageEx, and then loading a Texture2D from that image. The end result looks good, but the process is a bit unwieldy and relies on an additional 3rd party library, albeit an excellent one. It would be great to have more native raylib support for this, something along the lines of
LoadVectorFont([font path], &handle);
SetFontSize(handle, &size) <-- but in the way that FreeType handles it, such that there's no loss of resolution if it's a vector font
DrawText(string, handle, size)
Again, really just to allow scaling of vector fonts without loss of crispness (as happens now with TTF fonts if using native raylib functions)
As an aside, it would also be lovely to have support for Open Type fonts!
(Before finding this solution, I also tried:
* using default font and other bitmap fonts (bundled or otherwise) - no good, i like them in a vacuum but the pixelated/blocky look doesn't fit my project
* loading a TTF font through raylib - works well at the default size, but doesn't scale well. also, the default character subset does not include some of the characters I need to correctly credit my Kickstarter backers :P
* drawing a letter by hand, taking a photo of that, cleaning the photo, vectorizing the photo, converting back to png, and assembling these images into an XNA spritesheet. looks pretty good, actually, and scales ok provided the initial texture is pretty big, but not the most intuitive workflow, and it requires a 3rd party vectorizer if not using a readymade font (without the vectorization step the results don't look nearly as sharp & smooth)
* using the FreeType process described above, except drawing to a RenderTexture2D using DrawPixel. I run out of QUADS when the font size gets above 150 or so :P....tried doing a kludge where I draw to the texture over multiple frames, but the render texture seems to be getting wiped every time I call BeginTextureMode, and I can't seem to get the intermediate results to save correctly to my local static clipboard texture....anyway, this is more complex than the Image method, and the Image method works, so....)
Thanks as always!